Wightlink Limited (“We”) are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.
For the purpose of the Data Protection Act 1998 (the Act), the data controller is Wightlink Limited of Gunwharf Road, Portsmouth PO1 2LA .
INFORMATION WE MAY COLLECT FROM YOU
We may collect and process the following data about you:
- Information you give us. You may give us information about you by filling in forms on our site www.wightlink.co.uk (our site) or by corresponding with us by phone, e-mail or otherwise. This includes information you provide when you register to use our site, subscribe for our newsletter, updates or for any other service on our site, make any enquiry about our ferry services, make a booking or purchase a ticket for our ferry services or enter a competition, promotion or survey, enquire about any lost property and when you report a problem with our site. The information you give us may include your name, address, e-mail address and phone number, financial and credit card information, personal description and photograph and may include similar information relating to other persons for whom you make a booking or purchase a ticket for our ferry services.
- Information we collect about you. With regard to each of your visits to our site we may automatically collect the following information:
- technical information, including the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the Internet, your login information, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform;
- information about your visit, including the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL) clickstream to, through and from our site (including date and time); products you viewed or searched for; page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), and methods used to browse away from the page and any phone number used to call our customer service number.
- Information we receive when a booking for our ferry services is made on your behalf or a ticket for our ferry services is purchased for you. We may receive information about you if you enquire about our ferry services or if you make a booking for our ferry services or purchase a ticket for our ferry services through one of our authorised agents or from any reseller of our ferry services. We may also receive information about you from any other person making a booking for our ferry services on your behalf or purchasing a ticket for our ferry services for you.
- Information we receive from other sources. We also work closely with third parties (including, for example, business partners, sub-contractors in technical, payment and delivery services, advertising networks, analytics providers, search information providers, credit reference agencies) and may receive information about you from them.
USES MADE OF THE INFORMATION
We use information held about you in the following ways:
- Information you give to us. We will use this information:
- to carry out our obligations under any booking which you have made or any ticket you have purchased for our ferry services;
- to carry out our obligations under any booking which you have made or any ticket you have purchased for any other attractions or events which we provide or promote;
- to fulfil any other obligation we may have in connection with any products or services purchased by you from us;
- to provide you with the information, products and services that you request from us;
- to provide you with information about other products and services we offer that are similar to those that you have already purchased or enquired about;
- to provide you, or permit selected third parties to provide you, with information about goods or services we feel may interest you. If you are an existing customer, we will only contact you by electronic means (e-mail or SMS) with information about goods and services similar to those which were the subject of a previous sale or negotiations of a sale to you. If you are a new customer, and where we permit selected third parties to use your data, we (or they) will contact you by electronic means only if you have consented to this. If you do not want us to use your data in this way, or to pass your details on to third parties for marketing purposes, please tick the relevant box situated on the form on which we collect your data;
- to notify you about changes to our ferry services and any other products, services, attractions or events which we provide;
- to ensure that content from our site is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer.
- Information we collect about you. We will use this information:
- to administer our site and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes;
- to improve our site to ensure that content is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer;
- as part of our efforts to keep our site safe and secure;
- to measure or understand the effectiveness of advertising we serve to you and others, and to deliver relevant advertising to you;
- to make suggestions and recommendations to you and other users of our site about goods or services that may interest you or them.
- Information we receive when a booking is made on your behalf or a ticket or any other product or service is purchased for you.
- to carry out our obligations under any booking for our ferry services in which you are included or any ticket which you hold for our ferry services;
- to carry out our obligations under any booking in which you are included or any ticket which you hold for any other attractions or events which we provide or promote;
- to fulfil any other obligation we may have in connection with any products or services purchased for you from us;
- to notify you about changes to our ferry services and any other products, services, attractions or events which we provide or promote.
- Information we receive from other sources. We may combine this information with information you give to us and information we collect about you. We may use this information and the combined information for the purposes set out above (depending on the types of information we receive).
DISCLOSURE OF YOUR INFORMATION
We may share your personal information with any member of our group, which means our subsidiaries, our ultimate holding company and its subsidiaries, as defined in section 1159 of the UK Companies Act 2006.
We may share your information with selected third parties including:
- Business partners, suppliers and sub-contractors for the provision of any ferry services in accordance with any booking for our ferry services made by you or on your behalf or any ticket which you hold (whether or not you purchased the ticket yourself).
- Our business partners, suppliers and sub-contractors who assist us by providing services to us in connection with, among other things, the fulfilment of your booking or ticket, the processing of your payment details and the provision of support services including marketing services.
- Business partners, suppliers and sub-contractors for the performance of any other contract we enter into with you.
- Advertisers and advertising networks that require the data to select and serve relevant adverts to you and others via our website. We do not disclose information about identifiable individuals to our advertisers, but we may provide them with aggregate information about our users (for example, we may inform them that 500 men aged under 30 have clicked on their advertisement on any given day). We may also use such aggregate information to help advertisers reach the kind of audience they want to target (for example, women on the Isle of Wight). We may make use of the personal data we have collected from you to enable us to comply with our advertisers’ wishes by displaying their advertisement to that target audience.
- Analytics and search engine providers that assist us in the improvement and optimisation of our site.
- Credit reference agencies for the purpose of assessing your credit score where this is a condition of us entering into a contract with you.
We may also disclose your personal information to third parties:
- In the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets.
- If Wightlink Limited or substantially all of its assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal data held by it about its customers will be one of the transferred assets.
WHERE WE STORE YOUR PERSONAL DATA
Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our site, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone.
SECURITY OF INFORMATION WHICH YOU TRANSMIT TO US VIA THE INTERNET
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
You have the right to ask us not to process your personal data for marketing purposes. We will usually inform you (before collecting your data) if we intend to use your data for such purposes or if we intend to disclose your information to any third party for such purposes. You can exercise your right to prevent such processing by checking certain boxes on the forms we use to collect your data. You can also exercise your right at any time using the Email unsubscribe form
Please allow us a period of 10 days to comply with your request, once we have received your completed form.
Our site may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites of our partner networks, advertisers and affiliates. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
ACCESS TO INFORMATION
The Act gives you the right to access information held about you. Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with the Act. Any access request may be subject to a fee of £10 to meet our costs in providing you with details of the information we hold about you.