Carisbrooke Castle is a great family day out taking in over 1,000 years of history. Kids will love exploring and enjoy the panoramic view over the Isle of Wight countryside, while adults can visit the castle’s tranquil chapel and museum housing fascinating memorabilia of Charles I who was imprisoned here before his execution.
- The castle’s famous donkeys, as they work the 17th-century waterwheel
- Let the kids dress up as Norman soldiers or Civil War troopers
- Take time out in the Edwardian-style Princess Beatrice Garden with its period planting, water features and orchard, designed by TV presenter and award-winning garden designer Chris Beardshaw
Carisbrooke Castle admission charges
Carisbrooke Castle tips & tricks
- Book with Wightlink and save on your entry fee!
- Refuel in the charming tea room or bring a picnic to enjoy alfresco on the castle lawns
- Don’t worry about parking as there is a large free car park right outside
- Take a walk around the exterior castle walls
- Remember to ask staff what time the donkeys operate the waterwheel
- Some attractions and activities may carry an extra charge. See attractions website for full details
Get even more from Wightlink. Sign up to our newsletter and get the lowdown on what's happening on the Isle of Wight, offers and competitions.
Carisbrooke Castle gallery
Have a look at these photos from Carisbrooke Castle and be inspired to visit!
Getting to the Isle of Wight is easier with Wightlink
Whether you’re travelling by foot or car, getting to the Isle of Wight is easier with Wightlink Ferries
- The choice of three convenient routes – from Lymington and Portsmouth
- More sailings each day* than any other cross Solent ferry operator
- We’ve got the Island covered – Yarmouth in the West to Ryde and Fishbourne in the East
- Crossings from only 22 minutes*
- Great on board facilities – spacious lounges, refreshments and sundecks
*More sailings each day is based on the combined total of all three Wightlink routes. Number of sailings each day varies throughout the year.
Portsmouth Harbour Station to Ryde Pier Head in 22 minutes. Portsmouth to Fishbourne in 45 minutes and Lymington to Yarmouth in 40 minutes.