Wightlink is one of the largest UK domestic ferry companies, carrying over 4.5 million passengers a year across the Solent.
Recent development and regeneration of our six port locations has taken place to complement our six ships and two catamarans, including our new hybrid energy flagship, Victoria of Wight.
The Technical Superintendent reports to the Head of Engineering and Estates.
Key expectations for this post are:
- Provide effective leadership to Chief Engineer Officers
- Motivate and monitor the quality and effectiveness of maintenance work on the route
- Promote and maintain a culture of Engineering professional excellence across all vessels
- Facilitate an effective interface between engineering teams and contractors
- Identify areas of development of engineering teams
- Assist in the selection process for engineering staff
- Ensure maintenance work is carried out to Flag, Class and manufacturers’ standards, promptly and efficiently. Oversee the effectiveness of contracted work on board company vessels
- Ensure Flag and Class have been informed of reportable items and vessels meet certification requirements
- Liaise with the DPA on appropriate matters
- Ensure effective planning, costing and delivery of refit programmes, standby vessels in refit, likely to be geographically remote from home port
- Be entirely responsible for Ships Engineering and Engineering related budgets for vessels within remit. Attend periodic financial review and provide effective commentary on budget performance including control of costs within budget constraints
- Ensure potential marine insurance claims are reported to Brokers for effective assessment of damage
- Liaise with the underwriter’s appointed marine surveyor to establish causation of damage
- Submit potential insurance claim in report form for consideration by underwriters / loss adjuster
- Communications and Professional Relationships
- Be an effective communicator both written and verbal, capable of communicating at all levels outside and within the organisation
- Develop effective professional relationships across Wightlink departments, providing operational links between departments to ensure effective Engineering contribution to the overall company aim.
- Develop effective professional relationships with Engineering suppliers, acting in the best interests of Wightlink
- Arrange out-of-hours on-call resource and participate in the Engineering and Estates on call rota
- Develop and maintain familiarisation with the vessels across the fleet, frequently traveling with the vessels and liaising with Chief Officers while the vessel is in service.
- Assist the Head of Engineering and Estates in the regular review of the engineering function to ensure cost effective resourcing meets business needs
- Deputise for the Head of Engineering and Estates when required
- Carry out any other tasks from time to time as can be reasonably directed by Wightlink
The successful candidates will receive:
- An annual bonus (subject to performance)
- Private Medical Insurance
- A competitive Company Pension Allowance
- Concessionary travel benefits
- A vast range of retail benefits
- Annual salary circa £65,000.
Applications should be submitted in writing by 5 October 2021. Please email your CV and covering letter to [email protected].
The Company is an Equal Opportunities employer and the successful candidate will be selected on the basis of merit and aptitude