From the 5 to 9 June, Portsmouth, where much of the landing force sailed from in 1944, will be the focal point of national commemorations for D-Day 75. See below for a schedule of everything going on over the five days.
D-Day 75 foot passenger offer
Make your way across to Portsmouth for the D-Day 75 commemorations for with our discounted foot passenger prices. As it’s 75 years since the D-Day landings, we’re offering day return crossings for just £7.50, between 5 and 9 June 2019, on both our Portsmouth-bound routes. Book the offer on your chosen route below by 4 June 2019. Time restrictions apply – see terms and conditions below.
Wednesday, 5 June 2019
Morning – A major national commemorative event on Southsea Common with a flypast of 26 RAF aircraft – including Spitfire.
Afternoon – A flying display above Southsea Common by the Red Arrows.
Evening – MV Boudicca will depart Portsmouth with 300 D-Day veterans on board for a trip to Normandy. It will be escorted by a Royal Navy vessel to represent the famous crossings that took place 75 years ago.
Thursday 6 June 2019
Morning – The commemorative events for D-Day 75 continue on 6 June with a Remembrance Service held at the D-Day Stone in Southsea, opposite South Parade Pier. It invites the people of Portsmouth to pay their respects to those who paid the ultimate sacrifice on 6 June 1944.
All day – Live coverage on the big screen at Southsea Common of events in Normandy. These will include an inauguration at the site of the Normandy Memorial Trust’s British Normandy Memorial and The Royal British Legion’s services at Bayeux Cathedral and Bayeux Cemetery.
Friday 7 June 2019
10:30 – Portsmouth Music Hub will perform on Southsea Common with a special composition for D-Day 75.
17:00 – Military Band Concert on the main stage at Southsea Common
18:00 – Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra and a specially-formed young person’s choir will perform a composition by James Olsen, inspired by memories of D-Day veterans and the D-Day Story on Southsea Common main stage.
19:00 – Open air cinema screening of a family film at the big screen on Southsea Common.
Saturday 8 June 2019
All day – The Portsmouth Revival will take centre stage for D-Day 75 commemorations. The event will take place on Southsea Common and will feature entertainment and activities for all the family, including music and dancing from the 1940s, arena displays, military and vintage vehicle exhibitions, a 1940s vintage market and war film screenings.
Afternoon – Red Arrows flypast.
19:30 – Sunset Concert for Heroes. This free, unticketed 1940s-themed concert will welcome the Portsmouth Military Wives Choir and the D-Day Darlings to Southsea Common.
22:00 – Fireworks display on Southsea Common, supported by Gunwharf Quays.
Sunday 9 June 2019
All day – The Portsmouth Revival continues.
For more information on the D-Day 75 commemorative event, visit the Visit Portsmouth website.
2. Offer is valid on day return foot passenger travel only. Not valid on MyLink, Group, Family or Railcard tickets.
3. Fares are valid for bookings made until 4 June 2019 or until limit has been reached.
4. Travel must be taken between 5 June 2019 and 9 June 2019.
5. Bookings are only valid for travel originating from the Isle of Wight.
6. Excludes travel from the Isle of Wight between 06:30 and 08:30 and from the mainland between 17:00 and 18:30, Wednesday to Friday.
7. We reserve the right to modify or cancel the offers at any time.
8. Tesco Clubcard Boost tokens will not be accepted as part or full payment of tickets.
9. Offer applies to new bookings only, no refunds will be given in retrospect.
10. Wightlink General Conditions for provision of Ferry Services apply and can be found www.wightlink.co.uk/terms.
Get even more from Wightlink. Sign up to our newsletter and get the lowdown on what's happening on the Isle of Wight, offers and competitions.