What if my ferry is delayed or cancelled?
Wightlink works hard to run a reliable service. When problems do occur, we do our best to minimise the impact on our customers. If you have a booking with us and your sailing is cancelled or delayed by more than 90 minutes you can choose one of the following options.
Re-book for travel within the next seven days
Wait for next available sailing
Decide not to travel and have a full refund.
If the arrival of your sailing is delayed by…
- Less than 60 minutes, no compensation is payable.
- Between 60 and 120 minutes, you can claim 25% of the price paid for that crossing.
- Over 120 minutes, you can claim 50% of the price paid for that crossing.
Compensation claims must be made using our compensation form. Wightlink will pay compensation within 30 days of receipt.
If your sailing is delayed by…
- More than 90 minutes we will offer you a drink.
- More than four hours, a light snack.
- More than eight hours, a hot meal.
There may be times when we are unable to offer refreshments and we may give you a voucher instead.
To qualify for compensation, you must be booked on a particular sailing, or have a season ticket, and must have checked in at least 30 minutes before your booked sailing (15 minutes for foot passengers).
Compensation is not payable when…
- Weather and/or sea conditions endanger the safe operation of the ferry.
- Other circumstances beyond Wightlink’s control cause the delay or cancellation. These include restrictions placed by the Queen’s Harbour Master.
Other exemptions apply, and are detailed in the EU Regulation [EC] no 1177/2010 ‘the rights of passengers when travelling by sea and inland waterways’ detailed in our Terms & Conditions.